Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Revivification and Revival

I notice that there is talk of a revival at Asbury University in the US. It rather takes me back to my university days. 

At that time, the Anglicans (as I was back then in my youthful naiveté) were set together with the Free Church Christians. The communion "service" took turns at being ASB Anglican, Methodist, Baptist, "Celtic" et c. I can't say I was ever comfortable - back then I couldn't say why - but it certainly made me think about my faith and I cannot reject my time in that situation outright, though I would never wish to go through that again.

I remember very clearly that we were encouraged to experience God rather than follow the traditional worship that I was used to in my days as a choirboy. Even back then, a diversity of belief was encouraged. It wasn't how you worshipped, it was that you worshipped.

I do remember feeling "strangely warmed" during my reluctant times when the Charismatics had their turn and, truth be told, I rather miss that sensation but now I am convinced that Experience is not a source of Catholic authority.

As I have written, Experience provides the hypotheses that one tests against the Catholic Principles of Scripture, Tradition and Reason. There are only three cords in the rope that binds the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church together - another ikon of the Trinity in the life of the Church. The Orthodox Church seeks to encourage everyone to the experience of God, but this experience is tightly reined by the Divine Liturgy and centuries-old practice in keeping with the mind of Christ.

To give Experience authority is to allow that which is extrinsic to the Church to influence the Church away from its direct connection to the mind of Christ. We cannot suspend lex orandi lex credendi on the basis of something that might not be of the Holy Ghost. Test the spirits, first, but test them against what? This is utterly vital to understanding what's going on in Asbury.

What is this revival? People suddenly driven by a spirit to go to Asbury and worship? We'll, we've seen this sort of thing before, especially in Wales. The question that those who experience the revival need to answer is how they have tested the spirit calling them to revival. 

This may be a spirit which tempts us to believe that worship and love are things to be felt rather than done. This is a spirit of pious prattling and "sacred" sloth. Remember the slave girl who followed St Paul around babbling pieties was possessed by a Pythonian spirit. That spirit was not of God but used by the Devil and the slave girl's owner to make a profit by divination and pagan superstition. For St Paul to tolerate it would have discredited his ministry.

The Welsh Revival is still felt today which, by the Gamaliel Principle, suggests that it was divinely motivated. Of course, now that the Church in Wales and the Methodists have capitulated to the zeitgeist the pews are emptying leaving behind the smugly self-righteous.

We do need a revival of the Christian Faith in this country. British Christian Spirituality used to be a force to be reckoned with but now, with fewer than half of the population declaring that they are Christian, the Faith seems relegated to a decreasing number of pockets of resistance to the dominant (and not entirely Godly) powers and dominions that are influencing our lives.

I rather think that a revival will be more along the lines of the recognition of the Prodigal Son to the depravity and degradation of the pig-sty and to the home he once knew. One day, English Cathedrals will be stripped of their helter-skelters, golf courses and paper doves, the High Altar cleared and dressed, and the sanctuary re-sanctified by holy and godly bishops intent on proclaiming the Faith once delivered to the Saints. Then will people remember the glory of true worship and that this worship will colour their conversation with Almighty God for the rest of their lives.

For those of us in the Remnant, we must keep offering our worship excellently even if it makes us feel lousy, for whenever worship is hard, then it is most truly offered.

No comments: