Monday, February 14, 2022

Disengaging from ideological warfare

I have to admit, with the situation in Ukraine deteriorating, there seem to be dark times ahead. I suspect that, like all issues, one element of the situation is the entrenched rationalisation of views to the exclusion of the alternative.

I notice the same entrenched rationalisation in discussions about Anglicanism which rapidly become quite toxic. Over the past months, I have seen some ridiculously unpleasant arguments - and by that, I mean, arguments that would be laughable were they not so steeped in underlying disrespect and even approximating hatred. One individual I refuse to engage because, behind his apparent affability, lies a sneering self-aggrandizing attitude that seeks to belittle anyone who would dare challenge his questionable views. 

Now, what right have I to say that? Aside from the evidence of my own eyes and the corroboration of others, not much else. But, I must confess that there is a problem with this. Already, there is division into two camps based on how they are perceived. My antagonist will have his own tribe who may call me an intellectual coward for refusing to engage, or for being undignified in not arguing the desired manner. What is beginning here is another form of war - a battle of ideologies - and the casually of this war is simple basic charity. So I stop it at the onset.

I make no apology for removing comments that don't actually contribute anything except contribute to this warfare of ideas. The number of comments that begin with something like, "You're an invalid heretic!" I find, is astounding. What purpose do they serve other than an attempt to discredit me in my own house, as it were? I could engage, and the resulting exchange would degenerate and neither of us would budge an inch nor learn anything.

And that's the problem. Arguments don't change anything save only to entrench positions.

For some people that's not so bad. We Christians have to have a reason for the hope that is in us. To reason our faith through, to explore and discount possibilities is healthy and draws us to a surer framework of understanding God's Creation with God's grace. Yes, we are now being countered by atheists producing arguments designed to take down the Christian Faith by showing that it is unreasonable, unhealthy and untrue.  The intent is to dissuade people from becoming Christian and to become atheists like them. They are as proselyting as the door-to-door evangelical. 

If the Christian is living his faith properly, the need for combative argumentation is small. If we live a godly life, then the existence of God becomes tangible in us. We present our case, others are free to accept or reject. There will be those who stand against us, of course. The Bible is full of antagonists to Christianity. Yet, despite this, the Christian Faith perseveres, proof that it is not the quality of argumentation that matters but the Grace of God growing within a sincere heart.

What I see on the web are certain kinds of Catholics and Protestants ready to call each other heretic without realising that since before 1054, we have not just been talking past each other, we have been thinking past each other as well. Certainly, if we disagree as to what the Eucharist is then we cannot share it. Heresy may induce schism from the Church, but even the one ostensibly outside the Church who preaches salvation in Christ crucified is not against the Church. Oecumenical dialogue may not necessarily lead to intercommunion but it may end the warfare of ideas.

What we have to avoid are things like YouTube videos with titles such as "Oppy destroys Craig" or "Feser annihilates Hart". This is clickbait that incites the Christian soul to a warfare that separates the individual from living out the Christian life in the face of their personal battle to be holy. It transfers the war within us to turn to Christ in the fullness of heart outside to where the image of the enemy is transferred to human faces. That is true heresy, for the human face may only authentically bear the image of its Creator. Clickbait gives us the reason to transfer our interior battle to the outside where the Devil thinks he can win.

I remember my antagonists daily in my prayers and do so unreservedly and willingly. They are not my enemy: my enemy stalks within me whispering in my ear to take the forbidden fruit. I believe that this is the way that I can ensure that I am doing something to forgive them and love them even if God judges it ultimately to be insufficient. 

Likewise, I recognise in myself the temptation to engage in ideological warfare and I know I've mentioned it before. It's a besetting temptation that leads to sin. I therefore refuse to be drawn in debate. Of course, I seek to do my best in learning and teaching the Catholic Faith - that will involve honest and searching dialogue. I will answer honest questions as best I can but I will shut down any line of dialogue that will result in the warfare of ideologies. It doesn't edify anyone.

No comments: