Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Antiphons in the Darkness

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light. (I Peter ii.9)
I have often reflected on the Seven O Antiphons. I find that they draw me ever closer to Christmas and set me preparing for the great day of the Nativity. This year has been a wonderful year for me, but I am aware of the darkness that seems to be enshrouding mankind at the moment. You will have noticed my recent blogging about the Power of Darkness.


The world is now dark in the very hearts of men as we walk into a spiritual winter. The storms of power-struggles rage with the shrill winds of unkindness whirling around us and freezing the hearts of men to stone. We Christians are bound by our human condition to live in this dark time. We cannot avoid the reality of sin within us and around us; nor can we avoid the indifference of the universe to the daily suffering and misery  of its inhabitants.

We can easily miss the light of Christ coming into the world by failing to allow it to affect us, by taking on the cold indifference of a fleeting universe, by shutting our eyes and going back to sleep. 

Let us then reflect again on the Seven Os of an Advent in Darkness awaiting that marvellous light!

No comments: