Monday, August 19, 2024

What does a Canon Theologian do?

I have recently been given the honour of being appointed Canon Theologian to the Ordinary for our diocese. It’s a great honour because of the trust that has been bestowed upon me. We must never forget that every degree that we earn and every title we are given has been given to us by Almighty God for His service. Doctorates may look and sound grand but they are given as proof that the holder is capable of independent learning and research and will continue to do so.

This is especially true in Theology which many seem to think is a purely academic discipline. However, since “theology” literally means discourse about God and bears the word logos as a root, a true theologian cannot do theology without being in conversation with God, not treating Him like a lab rat or meteorological phenomenon.

All Christians are called to be theologians because. the Christian life is centred around prayer and prayer is communication with God, not always with words. We all have to wrestle with God and ensuring that the object of our worship is the One True God and not some extension of our wishful thinking.

My first duty, then, as Canon Theologian is to my bishop in assisting him in examining matters theological that arise in the running of the Diocese. This mainly involves commenting on various ecumenical dialogues and questions that arise from engaging with others. My next duty is to my confraternity of priests in providing resources and commentary in their own Continuing Ministerial Development. My third duty is a commitment to the theological education of the Diocese. This includes representing the Victoria College of Music and Johann Pestalozzi Christian University in which I hold faculty positions to the Diocese and the Diocese to the College and University  This allows me to assist in the training and formation of our ordinands and the formal learning of members of my Diocese.

You can see, then, what an honour it is for me as I am being asked to participate in the dialogue between individuals in my Diocese and their Maker. It is also a great responsibility as, if I mislead them, I am responsible for that misleading, and I know that the repercussions of failture to do the job to the best of my ability are great.

I would be very, very grateful for your prayers as I take up this office because I can only fulfil it with the help of God and this requires me to keep my own faith in order with Him. I look forward to seeing where this will lead and pray that whatever part I play in the Diocese, it may be a blessing to the Diocese and an act of worship to the Triune God Whom I love.

No comments: