I am grateful to Bishop Damien Mead for putting a link to my potential new Mission in Sheffield on the Anglican Catholic Church website. It is very much in the planning stage as I am not yet even properly settled in the area. Yet, I do have plans, ideas, and thoughts for the Mission that are worth considering and airing, and, for once, I wouldn't mind this post being shared so that people who are interested in building the Anglican Catholic Church in Sheffield may know that there is something in the pipeline.
- Following the patronage of St Anselm and St Odile, I would like the Mission Statement to be
Oculos nostros ad Jesum firmando, intellectum quaeramus.
which (I hope) means
"By fixing our eyes upon Jesus, let us seek understanding".
I hope that this will set the character of the Mission, but also clarify my own vocation of seeking the Truth and helping others in their search for it. The Truth is Our Lord Jesus Christ, and the full, Catholic revelation of this Truth can be found in Holy Scripture and the Doctrine of the Primitive Church.
- The picture above shows my ideal for an oratory for the Mission. It's a working ideal and liable to change as reality hits. If we can find a building for this purpose, it will need fixtures and fittings. It will take a while for this to happen, but it is worth having a goal to work towards. It would also be wonderful if, for once, I could walk to my own Church!
- The Liturgy will be The English Missal with any Offices from the Monastic Diurnal.
If we can get music, then the hymn book will be the (old) English Hymnal. When we have the facilities, Benediction will occur monthly. Also, during the month we will have focussed prayer for healing, prayer for the Church, and prayer for the Nation.
- It would be an important goal to set up a weekly study session for studying the Bible and the Fathers and other aspects of the Catholic Faith.
- If we have a weekly collection, the proceeds of one Sunday collection in the month will be given to an appropriate charity. The remainder will go to the upkeep of the Mission.
- We resolutely intend to foster cordial and truly charitable relations with all Christians in the community and look to promote generosity and cheerful dialogue, but following firmly the Anglican Catholic Statement of Unity. We cannot compromise our Catholic Faith, nor can we be dismissive of the Christian intentions of others who do not share it. We hope to walk together as far as we can, but we cannot deny that our differences will mean that this walk will only go so far.